Monday, April 8, 2013

The Best (Vegan) Scalloped Potatoes In The World + A Recipe for Vegan Butter

Omg. These scalloped potatoes. I am just in love heaven with cream thinking about them. Except they have no cream. Or cheese. Or dairy period. Which makes them super rich and delicious, but totally not heavy. Believe me, I ate a lot of these babies at our Easter dinner, and didn't feel that 'Ohhhhh no.. I feel so bloated and lethargic' feeling.

The cheese sauce is what makes them UNREAL. And by cheese sauce I do not mean cheese sauce. But we'll get to that in a bit.

My roommate / bestie and I were trolling the web the other day for some recipes we could create for our family Easter dinner. We landed on a vegan scalloped potatoes recipe that initially sounded complicated, but was actually pretty easy.

We also made some substitutions based on what we had, and my aversion to soy.

The original recipe is posted here, we followed all of the instructions save for 2 things:

  • We subbed the 'earth balance' for homemade vegan butter, which I'll share the recipe for below. This was used to create the 'cheese' sauce, along with potatoes, carrots, and coconut milk.
  • We used full fat coconut milk instead of the soy creamer. 

And ohhhhhhhh MAN they were so good!

Kai's hand preparing the final layer of potatoes.


So without further ado, here is the recipe I created for the vegan butter to be used in place of the 'Earth Balance' (because this and many other vegan butters have GMOs and alot of other crap I'm just not a fan of):



Vegan Butter

1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
1/4 cup raw macadamia nut butter
1/4 cup (or more to taste) nutritional yeast
1 tsp of tahini (optional)
A pinch of celtic or himalayan salt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, and let stand in the fridge, or a cool area, for 30 min. 

Enjoy!
xo Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment

TOP POSTS